A clean eating and paleo friendly homemade mulled syrup and mulled wine recipe, made with coconut sugar
- 850ml water
- 450g coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 6 clementines, cut into quarters
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 nutmeg, grated
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (or a vanilla pod, split)
- 1/2 tbsp mixed spice
- Put all the ingredients together in a large pan on the hob. Over a medium heat bring the mixture to a boil, stirring regularly. Reduce to a high simmer for 20 minutes or until the syrup reaches your desired consistency, stirring every few minutes. As the mixture is cooking I like to push down on the clementines with a spoon to release as much flavour as possible into the syrup.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly before straining it through a sieve. Pour the sieved syrup into an sterilised air tight bottle.
- To make mulled wine heat 750ml of red wine and 100ml of mulled syrup together in a saucepan on a low heat. Keep the mixture on the heat just long enough for it to warm up, you do not want it to boil. Serve in glasses with slices of orange and a star anise.
The mulled syrup will keep in a sterilised and airtight bottle for 8 weeks.