Delicious kid friendly sausage rolls packed with carrot and courgette. Everyone will love these Hidden Veggie Sausage Rolls!
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini), grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 350g sausage meat / 12oz
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry (approx 230g)
- 1 egg, beaten
- optional: 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds or sesame seeds to decorate
- Preheat the oven the 180c / 350f and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add in the grated courgette, grated carrot and the garlic. Cook on a low heat until the vegetables have softened for about 4 minutes. Don’t let them brown, you just want them soft. Once the vegetables are cooked, add them to a large bowl along with the sausage meat and mix well.
- While the mixture is cooling take your sheet of puffed pastry and cut it in half lengthways so that you have two rectangle shaped pieces. Divide the sausage meat mixture into two and spread each piece down the middle of the pastry sheets, leaving a gap of about 1cm either side.
- Roll the pastry over the sausage meat mixture so that the two edges meet. Press down with a fork to seal it.
- Cut the sausage rolls into whatever size you like. I made 8 large-ish size rolls from mine but you could make 16 small ones too. Place the sausage rolls onto the baking sheet and brush with a little beaten egg. Sprinkle some poppy or sesame seeds on top.
- Cook in the oven for 25-35 minutes (time will depend on the size of the sausage rolls so be sure to check them often from 25 minutes) until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve immediately with a side salad or some mixed vegetables.
These sausage rolls can be made ahead and frozen. Simply follow the instructions as normal but instead of egg washing and baking them, freeze them in a single layer and then transfer to a freezer bag or container.
They can then be baked from frozen. Brush them with a little egg wash and cook as normal. They may need an extra 5 – 10 minutes in the oven.