A delicious, healthy and gluten free recipe for Red Velvet Pancakes. Made with no artificial colourings, just beetroot!
- For the pancakes:
- 2 small beets
- 200g / 1.5 cups plain flour (gluten free or regular)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2–3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml / 1 cup milk
- For the drizzle:
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 400f. Peel two small beets and chop each one into 4 or 6 pieces. Place the chopped beetroot in a baking dish, together with a couple of tablespoons of cold water. Cover the dish with a lid or foil and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until they are cooked through. Check the beetroot a couple of times, adding more water so that they don’t dry out.
- Meanwhile measure out the other ingredients. Add the flour and baking powder to a large bowl. In a separate bowl or jug mix together the eggs, honey and vanilla extract.
- Once the beetroot are cooked through, transfer them to a blender. Add the milk and blitz until the beets are completely blended with the milk and you have a puree consistency. Add this puree to the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Finally, add this mixture to the flour and baking powder. Mix with a hand whisk until you have a classic pancake batter consistency.
- Melt some butter or oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add some of the batter (the amount will depend on how thick or thin you want your pancakes to be) and cook for 2-3 minutes either side for thick pancakes or 1-2 minutes either side for crepes.
- To make the drizzle simply mix together the cream cheese, plain yogurt, milk and vanilla extract. You can either drizzle this on top of the pancakes or serve as a scoop on the side.
This recipe makes 12 American style pancakes.
It is important to cook the pancakes over a low heat. On a high heat the outside of the pancakes will burn and char, making them black.