Three delicious open rye bread sandwiches, quick and easy to whip up for a healthy lunch at home!
As a stay at home or work from home mum, a filling and healthy lunch is often the last thing you manage to rustle up during a busy day.
I’m the worst offender for this, often grabbing a few small bites of something from the fridge every time I walk past.
Not exactly the healthiest or most relaxing way to eat!
But lately I’ve been trying to set aside some time to make something specifically for me – not a blog recipe or something the kids want to eat! But a “grown up” lunch that’s nutritious, filling and forces me to sit down for a few minutes and enjoy some down time.
Why Rye Sandwiches?
Sandwiches get a bad rap these days, usually because they are made with white or some other refined bread. Rye bread is a great alternative option as its packed with fibre and is lower on the GI index, helping to keep you full and stop blood sugar spikes.
For the toppings I can never choose just one so I usually go for three! Avocado, Lime & Radish; Pesto and Boiled Egg with Chilli Sauce; and Cherry Tomato, Garlic & Basil.
I always feel really satisfied after having this lunch and I hope you enjoy it too. If you have any ideas of other sandwich toppings please do let me know!
PRE-ORDER my new book THE FUSS-FREE FAMILY COOKBOOK out 26th January. 100 healthy easy and quick recipes that the whole family will enjoy!Print
Delicious open rye bread sandwiches, quick and easy to whip up for a healthy lunch at home!
- 3 slices of rye bread
- ½ avocado
- lime juice
- chilli flakes
- green pesto
- boiled egg
- chilli sauce
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- crushed garlic
- fresh basil
- Avocado, Lime & Radish
- Mash the avocado and spread it onto one slice of rye bread. Squeeze some lime juice on top and then add a few thin slices of radish.
- Pesto & Boiled Egg with Chilli Sauce
- Spread a teaspoon of pesto onto one slice of rye bread. Add a sliced boiled egg and then drizzle on some chilli sauce.
- Tomato, Garlic & Basil
- Chop in cherry tomatoes in half and add them to a bowl. Stir in crushed garlic, some torn basil leaves and a little olive oil and stir then add to the rye bread.
- Season all three with salt and pepper.