Three delicious open rye bread sandwiches, quick and easy to whip up for a healthy lunch at home!
As a stay at home or work from home mum, a filling and healthy lunch is often the last thing you manage to rustle up during a busy day.
I’m the worst offender for this, often grabbing a few small bites of something from the fridge every time I walk past.
Not exactly the healthiest or most relaxing way to eat!
But lately I’ve been trying to set aside some time to make something specifically for me – not a blog recipe or something the kids want to eat! But a “grown up” lunch that’s nutritious, filling and forces me to sit down for a few minutes and enjoy some down time.
Why Rye Sandwiches?
Sandwiches get a bad rap these days, usually because they are made with white or some other refined bread. Rye bread is a great alternative option as its packed with fibre and is lower on the GI index, helping to keep you full and stop blood sugar spikes.
For the toppings I can never choose just one so I usually go for three! Avocado, Lime & Radish; Pesto and Boiled Egg with Chilli Sauce; and Cherry Tomato, Garlic & Basil.
I always feel really satisfied after having this lunch and I hope you enjoy it too. If you have any ideas of other sandwich toppings please do let me know!Print
Delicious open rye bread sandwiches, quick and easy to whip up for a healthy lunch at home!
- 3 slices of rye bread
- ½ avocado
- lime juice
- chilli flakes
- green pesto
- boiled egg
- chilli sauce
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- crushed garlic
- fresh basil
- Avocado, Lime & Radish
- Mash the avocado and spread it onto one slice of rye bread. Squeeze some lime juice on top and then add a few thin slices of radish.
- Pesto & Boiled Egg with Chilli Sauce
- Spread a teaspoon of pesto onto one slice of rye bread. Add a sliced boiled egg and then drizzle on some chilli sauce.
- Tomato, Garlic & Basil
- Chop in cherry tomatoes in half and add them to a bowl. Stir in crushed garlic, some torn basil leaves and a little olive oil and stir then add to the rye bread.
- Season all three with salt and pepper.