A delicious, light and healthier Chocolate Mousse recipe made with greek yogurt. Great for kids, this makes a really simple but very tasty summer dessert!
Chocolate Mousse has to be the ultimate in tempting dessert recipes. Rich and chocolately there is something just so satisfying about it.
But given that it’s made with a tonne of double cream and quite often a mound of refined white sugar also, it’s not the healthiest option out there so I set about making it a little better for us.
Traditional chocolate mousse also contains raw eggs. I wasn’t keen on giving this to the baby so I wanted to also create a version that was egg free.
Without the whipped cream and eggs this mousse won’t take on that characteristic light and airy texture.
It will be more like yogurt still but I promise you it tastes just as good. The whole family devoured this as a Sunday evening treat. The baby even kept coming back trying to nab more of mine!
Because I was making this dessert for the kids I used 60% dark chocolate. If I was making it just for adults I would probably use a higher percentage cocoa content but I didn’t want to make it too bitter for them.
You could also add flavouring, such as orange zest or a drop of mint essence or add extra honey too.
So there you go. A delicious dessert treat that the whole family can eat and enjoy!Print
A light and healthy chocolate mousse recipe made with greek yogurt
- 180ml / ¾ cup milk
- 100g / 3 ½ oz dark chocolate
- 500ml / 2 cups greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the chocolate, either grated or very finely chopped or shaved. Gently heat the milk until the chocolate melts, being careful not to let it boil. Once the chocolate and milk have fully combined, add the honey and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Spoon the greek yogurt into a large bowl and pour the chocolate mixture on top. Mix together well before transferring to individual bowls, ramekins or glasses.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours. Serve with a small spoonful of greek yogurt and some fresh raspberries.
- The chocolate mousse will keep in the fridge for 2 days.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like: