Delicious and filling Berry Breakfast Muffins packed full of healthy ingredients including oats, yogurt, coconut oil, banana and apple sauce.
- 2 large eggs
- 120g (1/2 cup) plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 100g (1/2 cup) apple sauce
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g (1 cup) plain flour
- 100g (1 cup) wholemeal flour
- 50g (1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 150g (1 1/4 cups) frozen berries
- To top:
- 1 tbsp rolled oats
- 2 tbsp sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper or silicone cases.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, yogurt, coconut oil, apple sauce, mashed banana, honey and vanilla extract.
- In a second bowl add the plain and wholemeal flour, oats, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just enough until everything is combined. Don’t over mix!
- Finally, fold in the frozen mixed berries. Don’t worry if the mixture turns a blueish tint!
- Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases. Top with a little extra oats and some seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve immediately or they will keep in an airtight container well for 24 hours. Alternatively they can be frozen and defrosted in 2-3 hours.
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/breakfast-muffins