These delicious brownies are refined sugar free, instead sweetened with apple and banana and a little honey. They’re also packed with nutritious almonds and are gluten and dairy free!
- 100g / 0.5 cup coconut oil
- 25g / 0.25 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 140g / 0.5 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 150g / 1.5 cups ground almonds
optional: a little melted chocolate to drizzle on top (can be dairy free)
- Preheat the oven to 170 c / 330 F. Grease and line a brownie tin with parchment paper.
- Melt the coconut oil (you can do this in the microwave or in a saucepan on the hob) and add it to a large bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder to the melted coconut oil and mix until they are well combined. Add in the mashed bananas, apple sauce, vanilla extract, eggs and honey and mix again.
- Finally add in the ground almonds and mix just enough so that all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the brownie tin and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the brownies to cool slightly in the tin for 5-10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- This is totally optional but I like to add a little melted chocolate drizzled on the top of the brownies.
- Cut into 9 large or 18 small brownies.
These brownies can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.