A healthier take on Chocolate Chip Cake Bars, low in sugar and brilliant for an afternoon snack for kids or to pop into their lunch box.
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 50g butter (or coconut oil)
- 100g plain yogurt
- 1 medium egg
- 75g apple sauce (or 1 small banana)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 70g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a brownie tin with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda to a large bowl and mix.
- Add the butter to a large jug and melt in the microwave.
- Once the butter is melted add the yogurt, egg, apple sauce and honey and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix.
- Finally fold in 50g of the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the cake mixture into the tin and flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top and bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing it and cool a little more.
- Cut into 16 squares.
These cake bars can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 days. They can also be frozen and will defrost at room temperature in a couple of hours.