A delicious recipe for Christmas Day Gravy, made in advance using the leftover chicken carcass from a Sunday roast!
- Chicken Carcass & Bones
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole and crushed
- 3 carrots, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 3 celery, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 litres water
- 150ml red wine or port
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Into a large oven tray add the chicken carcass broken up, along with any bones and skin.
- Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery and mix . Finally add the herbs on top.
- Drizzle the olive oil on top and roast fin the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and transfer all the contents into a large saucepan or stock pot on a low heat on the hob.
- Add the flour and mix quickly, using a wooden spoon to break down the bones even further.
- Add water and wine, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins until it reduces and thickens.
- Remove the pot from the heat and pour the contents through a sieve, pushing down with a spoon or ladle to make sure you are getting all that delicious gravy out!
- Taste and season with a little salt and pepper if you wish.
- Leave the gravy to cool then transfer into two freezer bags or containers then put into the freezer.
- Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in a saucepan on the hob over a low heat. You can add any turkey juices you have at this stage too.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes approximately 1.5 pints of gravy.
- Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for 48 hours.