A quick, easy but super delicious recipe for Sausage Meat Ragu. This simple meal has fast favourite in my family and I think you will love it too!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely diced
- 500g / 1lb sausage meat
- 400g / 14 oz chopped tomatoes
- 200ml / 1 cup beef stock
- 100ml / 0.5 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 350g / 12oz parpadelle pasta
To serve: parmesan cheese and basil leaves (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook for approximately 3 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute before adding the sausage meat.
- Fry the sausagemeat for 5-6 minutes until it is browned all over.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, beef stock, red wine and tomato puree and mix well.
- Bring the ragu to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for approximately 12 minutes until the mixture has cooked down and the sauce has reduced. Be careful not to reduce it too much as we still want to keep some liquid in there for when we add the pasta.
- Whilst the ragu is simmering, cook the parpadelle (or any other) pasta in a separate saucepan. Drain and then add it to the ragu.
- Mix well and then serve with some grated parmesan and fresh basil leaves.
This ragu will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 48 hours. It can be reheated on the hob or in the microwave.
If you want to freeze it, I would recommend freezing only the ragu sauce without the pasta.