A quick and easy family dinner recipe; Sausage & Butterbean Casserole cooked on the hob in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 sausages (meat or vegetarian)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 400g / 14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 200ml / 8 fl oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 400g / 14 oz tin butter beans, drained
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or frying pan. Add the sausages and fry gently for 5-6 minutes until they start to brown. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and carrots and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, paprika and mixed herbs. Stir well before adding the sausages back into the pan.
- Cook on a low-medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter beans and cook for a further 5 minutes until the beans have warmed through.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread or rice.
Leftovers can be kept in a container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave or on the hob.
This recipe can also be frozen in a freezer bag or container. Defrost in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the microwave or on the hob.