A really easy but also healthy recipe for traditional Irish Soda Bread or Brown Bread. No yeast, kneading or proving required!
- 200g / 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
- 150g / 1 1/4 cups plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 280ml / 1 1/3 cups milk
- 125g / 1/2 cup yogurt (I used hazelnut but plain is fine too)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- optional: sprinkling of oats
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f. Grease a loaf tin with butter or oil.
- Sieve the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl. Add in the wholemeal flour and mix well.
- Add the milk, yogurt and oil and stir with a table knife until all the ingredients are well combined but ensure not to over-mix the dough.
- Transfer the mixture into the greased loaf tin and use a sharp knife to score lengthways down the middle of the dough. Finally, this is optional but I like to add a sprinkling of oats to the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove the bread from the tin and allow to cool completely on a rack.