Wonderful crunchy onion rings, baked to keep them nice and healthy!
- 2 large white onions
- 250ml buttermilk
- 300ml milk
- 100g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 150g panko breadcrumbs
- Peel the onions, cut them into 1/2 inch slices and separate them out into rings.
- Mix the buttermilk and milk together in a large bowl or dish. Add the onion rings, cover with cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours.
- After 6 hours preheat the oven to 200c. Mix the flour, cornflour, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a large ziplock sandwich bag. Remove all the onion rings from the milk and put them straight into the bag with the flour mixture. Close the bag and shake until the onion rings are fully coated. Kids will love helping with this part!
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and spread the panko breadcumbs out onto a plate. Line 2 baking trays with parchment.
- One at a time take each onion ring from the bag, dip in the egg and then coat with the breadcrumbs. Place onto the baking tray in a single layer.
- Once all the onion rings have been coated and placed on the trays spray them with an oil or cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes, turning once and spraying again.
- Serve immediately with ketchup or another dip.