Delicious individual shortcrust pastry pies packed with cranberry, orange and apple. Perfect for Christmas and a great alternative to mince pies!
- 300g fresh cranberries (or frozen and thawed)
- 300g peeled, cored and diced red apples (approximately 4 small apples)
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1/2 tbsp orange zest (from the orange skins left over)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 x 375g sheets of ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- To a large saucepan add the cranberries, apples, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10-12 minutes until the cranberries and apples are breaking down. You can use a potato masher to break them down further.
- In the meantime roll out the two sheets of pastry. Use a 9cm round pastry cutter to cut out 15 bottoms for the pies. Gently press each of them into muffin trays. Use the remainder of the pastry to cut out 15 star shapes for the the top.
- Mix the cornflour and water together in a cup until smooth. Add this to the cranberry mixture and cook for another 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Divide the cranberry mixture between the 15 pastry cases and bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes until golden brown around the edge. Allow them to cool a little in the tin as the filling will be very hot, then put them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the pies are cooling place the pastry stars on some greaseproof paper on a baking tray and bake for 5-6 minutes until just starting to brown around the edges.
- Remove the pastry stars from the oven and place them on top of the pies.
- The pies can be served straight away or kept in an airtight tin for up to 3 days.
- These pies can also be frozen. Allow them to cool completely and then place on a tray or plate in the freezer. When frozen transfer to a freezer bag or container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Defrost at room temperature. If you want to warm them, heat them gently in the oven or microwave.