A delicious moist and dense Courgette, Carrot & Banana Cake with an Orange Icing Glaze
- 120g / 4oz butter
- 150g / 1 & 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 170g / 3/4 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small courgette, grated
- 125g / 1 cup plain flour, sieved
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 50g / 2 oz icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f. Line a 10×10 inch (or similar) dish with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter and add the sugar, egg, yoghurt and vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
- Add the bananas, carrot and courgette and stir until they have all incorporated into the mixture.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir until just combined. Be sure not to over mix at this point.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for approximately 40 minutes until the top is beginning to brown and the cake is set in the middle. Because this cake is so moist the usual ‘stick in the middle comes out clean’ test will not work here. Cooking time will depend on the moisture in your courgettes and bananas so I would suggest checking it from 35 minutes and allow longer to bake if necessary.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the baking dish for a few minutes. Once the foil is cool enough to touch, lift the foil from the dish and transfer the cake to a rack to cool further.
- Make the glaze by adding a little of the orange juice at a time to the icing sugar until it reaches your desired consistency. Once the cake has fully cooled drizzle the glaze on top and cut into 12 pieces.