These chunky cookies are low in sugar and made with oats, making them perfect for a filling kid-friendly afternoon snack or to add to lunch boxes. They’re also brilliant to batch make and keep in the freezer too.
There’s nothing wrong with shop bought snacks for kids. My children have their fair share of crisps, chocolates and everything else. But one thing I find about homemade snacks is that they tend to be a lot more filling than their packaged equivalents.
Theses cookies for example are big and filling but are still relatively low in sugar. Served with some chopped veg and fruit they make a great afternoon snack for hungry kids or are ideal to add to lunch boxes too.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies for Kids
And they’re easy to make too. You just need one bowl and an electric whisk.
Cream together the butter and sugar then add an egg.
Add flour, oats and bicarbonate of soda and mix with a spoon.
Lastly, add some chocolate chips and divide into 12 cookies.
Bake for 15 minutes and then allow them to cool so that they get really crunchy.
They’ll keep for 3 days in an airtight container. I usually keep a few for the next couple of days and then freeze the rest.
How To Freeze Cookies
To freeze these cookies just add them to a freezer bag. You can use a normal freezer bag but I love these silicone bags from Squirrel.
The cookies will defrost in about 3 hours so I just take them out of the freezer in the morning and pop into lunch or snack boxes for the kids to take to school.
If you liked this recipe you may also enjoy these Oat & Raisin Cookies. Just as easy to make but chocolate free.
If you liked this recipe please do leave me a comment and a star rating below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram. I always love to see your creations!Print
These chunky cookies are low in sugar and made with oats, making them perfect for a filling afternoon snack or to add to lunch boxes. They’re also brilliant to batch make and keep in the freezer too.
- 125g unsalted butter
- 50g light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 120g plain flour
- 100g oats
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180c fan and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar with an electric whisk. Add the egg and beat for another few seconds.
- Add in the flour, oats and bicarbonate and mix well.
- Finally mix in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal sized dough balls. Place them on the baking trays and then press down into a cookie shape.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the trays before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen and defrosted in a couple of hours at room temperature.