A quick and Easy Chinese Fried Rice recipe using leftover pork. Perfect for a speedy mid-week family dinner.
On a busy week day you really can’t beat a super speedy one pot wonder Fried Rice recipe for dinner. It’s so simple to make and is perfect for using leftovers from your fridge that might otherwise go to waste.
The beauty of fried rice is that you can pretty much chop and change the recipe depending on what ingredients you have that day. So long as you have some cooked rice, eggs and veggies you can change up the flavours and add any type of meat or even some seafood.
I added a store cupboard staple of mine – Chinese Five Spice – to the pork to give it a delicious and fragrant Chinese flavour. I also used another favourite – frozen chopped vegetables – perfect to whip out of the freezer and straight into the wok. No peeling or chopping required! You can of course use leftover cooked veggies too.
The trick to making perfect fried rice is using cold long grain rice. And by cold I mean at least room temperature – it cannot be warm! If you have leftover rice from another meal that’s perfect. But if you don’t, and you don’t have time to cook and cool the rice, you can use those packets of microwave rice. It makes the process much easier as they will cook in just 2 minutes and you can then leave it to cool for about 10-15 minutes at room temperature.
If you try this recipe yourself please do let me know what you think. Or tag me in a picture on Instagram. I’d love to see your pictures and hearing your comments about the recipesPrint
A quick and Easy Chinese Fried Rice recipe using leftover pork. Perfect for a speedy mid-week family dinner
- 200g cooked and chopped pork
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 100g chopped frozen vegetables
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 350g cooked and cooled long grain rice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Sprinkle the Chinese Five Spice onto the pork and mix well.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan on the hob and add in half of the oil. Crack in the eggs and mix quickly, almost like making scrambled eggs. Cook the eggs whilst stirring continuously for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl.
- Add the remainder of the oil to the wok and then add in the onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until they have softened. Add the garlic, frozen vegetables, red pepper and chopped pork and cook for a further 4 minutes. Transfer all of this into the bowl with the eggs.
- To the wok add the cooled rice and soy sauce and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the rice is warmed through. Add back in the eggs, vegetables and pork and mix everything together.
- Serve immediately.