A tasty and mild Chilli Con Carne recipe for kids that’s packed full lots of vegetables too!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small white onion, finely died
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small courgette, grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 500g / 18oz beef mince
- 400g / 14oz (1 tin) chopped tomatoes
- 300ml beef stock / 1 & 1/4 cups (use a gluten free stock cube if necessary)
- 240g / 8oz (1 tin) cooked kidney beans, drained
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 100g / 1/2 cup corn (can be tinned or frozen)
- 1 fresh lime
To serve: boiled rice, sour cream and tortilla chips
- Heat the oil in a large dish on the hob. Add the onion and fry over a medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the garlic, grated carrot and grated courgette and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the spices – smoked paprika, ground coriander, ground cumin and chilli powder and mix well.
- Add in the beef mince and fry for another 4 minutes or until the meat has browned.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes and beef stock and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the kidney beans, red pepper and corn and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in some fresh lime juice to taste.
- Serve immediately with rice, sour cream and tortilla chips.
This is a great family meal to make in bulk. It can be kept in the fridge in an airtight container for 48 hours or frozen and kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.