A super easy mid week meal idea that’s so warming and comforting; Cheesy Chicken & Sausage Pie with a lattice puff pastry crust.
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g diced chicken breast
- 200g diced sausages
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 eggs, beaten
- 200g puff pastry sheet
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, chicken and sausages. Fry for 5-6 minutes until the chicken is white, stirring regularly.
- Mix in the carrots and celery. Add the flour and mix well until it has coated all the meat and vegetables.
- Pour in the chicken stock and simmer the mixture for 10 – 12 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add the creme fraiche, cheese and peas and mix well.
- Transfer the filling to a pie dish. I used an 8in x 8in dish.
- Lay the puff pastry sheet flat and cut strips long enough to fit your dish. I used 11 strips about 3/4 in width but you can make them as thick or thin as you want.
- Layer the pastry strips onto the pie, making a lattice pattern and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve immediately with salad or greens.