A fresh and colourful summer salad recipe made with giant cous cous, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and basil.
If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times… I’m all about quick and easy family meals and even more so in the summer. Who wants to be slaving for hours over a hot stove when there’s fun to be had outside in the sun!
My new favourite go-to lunch this summer has been this Caprese Cous Cous Salad. Super easy to make with just a few simple ingredients, it’s a great little recipe to have on hand when you need to get a meal on the table quickly.
I used giant cous cous in my recipe, also known as pearl or Israeli cous cous. Personally I much prefer it to normal cous cous.
The texture is not as grainy, it’s more like pasta. I also find it a lot easier to feed to small kids.
My 18 month old is the messiest of eaters but he seems to be able to manage giant cous cous a lot easier that the smaller variety.
This is a fantastic recipe to pack up and take outside for a park lunch or beach picnic.
You can also bulk cook the cous cous and keep in the fridge for several days, changing up the flavours by adding different ingredients every day. So versatile!
Looking for more easy summer meals? Try one of these:
ORDER my new book THE FUSS-FREE FAMILY COOKBOOK out now. 100 healthy easy and quick recipes that the whole family will enjoy!
ORDER my new book THE FUSS-FREE FAMILY COOKBOOK out now. 100 healthy easy and quick recipes that the whole family will enjoy!Print
A fresh and colourful summer salad recipe made with giant cous cous, mozarella, cherry tomatoes and basil
- 200g giant cous cous
- 1 low sodium vegetable stock cube
- 125g mozzarella
- 10 – 15 cherry tomatoes
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Place the cous cous in a pan and cover it with boiling water. Add the stock cube and leave to simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile prep the rest of the ingredients. Cut or tear the mozzarella and basil into small pieces and chop the tomatoes.
- When the cous cous has cooked, drain it in a sieve and run it under cold water until it has all cooled. Transfer the cous cours to a large bowl and pour in the olive oil. Add the mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and mix everything well.
- Serve immediately.