Liven up your dinner table with this light and summery side dish. This broad bean & pea salad is so inviting, even the kids won’t be able to refuse!
Have you got one of those kids (or adults) who literally will only eat one or two types of vegetable so you end up serving the same veg at every meal?
Yeah, me too! My fussy eater will hoover up peas so I had the idea of creating a side dish with peas and broad beans, hoping she wouldn’t notice the addition of the beans.
Thankfully it was a huge success. She polished off her portion and even my vegetable shunning husband complimented me on it.
The prep time is so long in this recipe because I removed the shells from each and every broad bean after cooking.
If you are short of time you can leave them on but this dish looks, and tastes, much better with the shells removed.
If you liked this recipe please do leave me a comment and a star rating below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram. I always love to see your creations!Print
Liven up your dinner table with this light and summery side dish. So inviting, even the kids won’t be able to refuse!
- 300g frozen broad beans
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 10 mint leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- Cook the broad beans and peas according to the package instructions (approx 4 mins for the beans and 3 mins for the peas).
- Drain and run under cold water for a couple of minutes. The broad beans can be eaten in their shells but they taste, and look, much nicer out of their skin. This is a bit time consuming but believe me it’s worth the effort!
- Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, lemon juice and chopped mint leaves.
- Mix the dressing with the beans and peas and season with salt and pepper.
This dish can be made in advance and stored in the fridge. However I would recommend to eat within 6 hours of making as the peas and beans begin to lose some of their gorgeous vibrant colour after that.