A delicious warming Beef & Vegetable Pie with an easy shortcrust pastry top made in a Kenwood Chef. Perfect to whip up for Bonfire Night!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 kg diced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 30g plain flour
- 2 carrots, sliced in rounds
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 350g button mushrooms
- 440ml Guinness
- 1 beef stock cube or stock pot
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 225g plain flour
- 100g butter, cold and cut into cubes
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 egg
- Add the oil to a large pan or casserole dish and heat gently. Fry the beef in two or three batches until browned, then remove and keep in a bowl.
- Fry the onions and garlic for 2 minutes and then quickly stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, Guinness, beef stock, mustard and herbs and mix well.
- Add back in the beef, bring to the boil and the simmer on low for approximately 45 minutes until the meat and veggies are cooked and the sauce has reduced right down.
- Meanwhile make the pasty by adding the flour, butter and salt to the Kenwood Chef. Use the flat ‘K’ beater and mix on a low speed (1 or 2) for a couple of minutes. Slowly pour in the water and increase to speed 4 for another minute.
- Remove the pastry, mould it into a ball, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- When the pie filling is cooked transfer it into an oven proof dish.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll it out big enough to cover the dish.
- Place it on top of the pie filling and trim the sides. Crimp the edges with a fork and then add a slit to the centre to allow the steam to escape.
- Quickly beat the egg in a cup and use a pastry brush to egg wash the top of the pastry.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180c for 35 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately with green vegetables.