A delicious combination of avocado and strawberry makes this macaroni salad recipe the perfect summer meal and great for kids!
If you are thinking “Strawberries? In a pasta salad? Has she completely lost her mind?!!” just trust me, this isn’t as crazy as you might think! I’ve been seeing strawberries in salads all over the place this summer and I thought it was high time that I tried it out for myself.
And the result? Well I was super impressed! Yes the strawberries are sweet but somehow it just seems to work, especially when contrasted against the acidity of the lime juice in the dressing. And the kids being sweet fiends absolutely loved it!
My kids are not the biggest salad lovers at the best of times so I decided to make a pasta salad and incorporate some veggies in there along with the strawberries. I used sweetcorn and peppers as their sweetness goes well with strawberries and some avocado too, cause it’s just so darn nutritious!
I made a very light dressing with olive oil and lime juice but you can easily leave this out if you think your kids wouldn’t like it.
This recipe is definitely a new favourite addition to my summer meal planning menus. It’s also great for a picnic or to take to a BBQ. If you are thinking of making this salad advance would be to toss the chopped avocado in a little lime juice to stop it from browning.
Looking for more easy summer meals? Try one of these:
A delicious combination of avocado and strawberry makes this macaroni salad the perfect summer meal and great for kids!
- Pasta Salad:
- 220g / 2 cups macaroni or other pasta
- 1 avocado
- 1 green pepper
- 10 – 15 strawberries
- 4 tbsp sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling water for 8 -10 minutes or accordingly to the package instructions.
- When cooked, drain away the water and, keeping the pasta in the colander or strainer, run under cold water until it has cooled.
- Prepare the remaining ingredients by chopping the avocado, pepper and strawberries into small pieces. Mix together with the pasta in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Add the olive oil and lime juice to a jar with a lid and shake until well combined. You can pour this directly onto the pasta salad or serve it on the side instead.