A delicious, quick and easy Rainbow Vegetable Risotto recipe. Ready in just 20 minutes and perfect for kids!
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1 small carrot
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp frozen peas
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 700ml / 3 cups boiling water
- 250g / 9 oz risotto rice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 50g / 1/2 cup grated cheese (parmesan, cheddar, etc plus a little extra for on top)
- Chop all the vegetables (except the peas!) into small bite sized pieces. Dissolve the stock cubes in a jug with the boiling water and keep this jug right beside your cooker.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan or wok. Add the risotto rice and fry gently for 2-3 minutes until the rice starts to change colour and is fully coated in the oil. Be sure to keep stirring the rice so it doesn’t burn.
- Add a ladle of the stock to the rice at a time. There should be just enough liquid to cover the rice but it shouldn’t be swimming in it. Just as the rice is starting to run out of liquid, add another ladle of stock and keep repeating this until the rice is cooked. Don’t worry if you don’t use all the liquid, or if you need to add a bit extra. I find the amount can vary every time I make it.
- Meanwhile cook the vegetables however you like them. You can fry them, boil them or steam them.
- When the rice has cooked through (remember that risotto is traditionally supposed to have a slight bite to it, but it’s up to you how you want to cook it) and all the stock has been absorbed, add the butter and cheese and give it a good stir. Finally add the vegetables and stir again.
- Serve immediately.