With summer holidays coming to an end I have to admit that I am feeling a little weary and my ability to deal with the constant demands for sweet and sugary snacks from my fussy eater is waning as the days go on. And it was out of this desperation that these Apple Pops were born last week!
Apples are one of those fruits that I find hard to get into my fussy eater. She doesn’t dislike them but I guess she just finds them a little boring. I usually just cut them into chunks and serve them as part of a morning or afternoon snack. But after a few minutes they tend to go a bit brown and that can’t be very appetising to a 3 year old. However, food on sticks still holds a lot of appeal in our house at the moment and so I thought I’d shove some apples on a stick, jazz them up with yogurt and toppings and see how they go down!
I’m very pleased to report that they went down a treat. Food on a stick is always a novelty and by getting my fussy eater involved in picking out her own toppings and helping me to decorate them, she was then super excited to eat them. Result!
Obviously I still used chocolately and sugary sprinkles so these snacks are 100% healthy. But I do feel its a step in the right direction and a good way of showing kids that fruit can be fun. Do you have any tips for making fruit more appealing to your children?
- 1 apple
- lemon or lime juice (can be fresh or from a bottle)
- 8 cake pop sticks
- 1 small pot yoghurt
- 1 tsp honey
- sprinkles / chopped nuts / desiccated coconut and any other toppings to decorate
- Cut the apple in half and remove the core. Cut each half in half, and each of those in half again, giving you 8 pieces. Dip each piece in some lemon or lime juice to stop the apples from browning. Push a cake pop stick into each of the pieces of apple.
- Add the honey to the pot of yogurt and stir. Dip each slice of apple half way into the yogurt and then immediately sprinkle over your choice of toppings.
- Place the apple pops on a plate or tray and put in the freezer for up to an hour until the yogurt is solid.
- You can eat these apple pops straight away or transfer them to a food bag and store in the freezer for up to a week.