Love it or hate it chances are you’ve seen recipes and mentions of Cauliflower Rice all over the internet for quite a while now. Blitzed or grated, the humble cauliflower can be transformed into tiny little bits, making it an ideal substitute for rice and a favourite with all kinds of diets whether it be low carb, low calorie, low fat, paleo, etc.
I’ve been making Cauliflower Rice for nearly two years but lately I’ve been finding it a bit bland and wanted to liven it up with some extra flavour. So I added some broccoli as an experiment and I was chuffed to discover that it worked really well. Why should the cauliflower get all the praise…now it’s all about the Broc-Cauli Rice!!
If you’ve not made Cauliflower Rice before I assure you it’s the simpliest dish to prepare. I actually find it easier than normal rice as somehow I always manage to mess that up! In this recipe I lightly fried the Broccoli & Cauliflower Rice as I added some herbs to it. But I often steam it in the microwave too. Simply pop it in a bowl, cover with cling film, pierce a few times and whack it in on high for 4-7 minutes, depending on how much you are making.
I quite enjoyed the taste of this rice on it’s own, with just a few thai spices to jazz it up. But I know some people only like it with very saucy meals. It’s fantastic at soaking up other flavours so swapping this for your normal rice in a curry or chilli dish is a brilliant way to try it out for the first time.
If you’re not sure how the rest of your family will take to it, you can do what I do and simply add just a bit of the Cauliflower Rice to their normal rice. It’s also a great way to sneak some extra veg into their diet!Print
A delicious mixture of Broccoli and Cauliflower Rice flavoured with thai spices and served with stir fried vegetables
- Thai Spiced Broccoli Cauliflower Rice:
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tsp thai mixed spice
- Stir Fried Veggies:
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- red cabbage
- mange tout
- (or any other vegetables that can be easily stir fried)
- To garnish:
- lime and coriander
- Make the rice by blitzing the cauliflower and broccoli florets together in a food processor until fine. Be careful not to over-blitz as you don’t want it to start to turn mushy.
- Heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil in a wok and add the garlic, ginger and chilli flakes. Cook for 1-2 mins before adding the veggies. Stir fry for a few minutes until the veg have softened slightly, then remove from the wok and set aside.
- Add more oil to the wok if needed and add the Broccoli & Cauliflower Rice along with the thai spice. Continue to stir the rice while cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with chopped coriander and wedges of fresh lime.