A delicious low sugar chocolate cake made extra healthy with hidden sweet potatoes! A great way to get some extra veggies into kids!
Lets be honest… nothing beats a delicious slice of chocolate cake right?! It’s not always the healthiest of foods but there is a way to make a lower sugar version yourself at home that is also packed full of nutritious sweet potato! Let me show you how….
My kids are absolute cake-fiends. They love nothing more than a massive slice of chocolate cake but with the amount of sugar in shop-bought cakes, not to mention the artificial colours and flavourings, I often opt to make my own if I have time. This recipe is super easy. I am no star baker but even I can make this fool-proof cake perfect every time!
You may be a bit surprised to see sweet potato on the list of ingredients but I promise you that it works! As well as being as providing an excellent nutritional boost to the cake, it also helps to add moisture. There is nothing worse than a dry chocolate cake! You can either make and mash the sweet potato fresh (just be sure to cool it to room temperature) or use leftover sweet potato mash that you made earlier.
This recipe is egg free and it can also be made dairy free by using non-dairy chocolate chips, so it’s perfect for families dealing with allergies.
For the full recipe check out the video or written instructions below (and don’t forget to subscribe to my You Tube Channel to stay up to date on all my videos!). And if you try this recipe please do let me know what you think. Or tag me in a picture on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #myfussyeater. I love seeing all your pictures!
- 200g (1 cup) mashed sweet potato (room temperature)
- 100g (1/2 cup) apple sauce
- 80ml (1/3 cup) melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 60g (1/2 cup) wholemeal flour
- 30g (1/4 cup) light brown sugar
- 25g (1/2 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g (1/4 cup) chocolate chips
- To serve: greek yogurt, raspberries, blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f. Grease and line a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the mashed sweet potato, apple sauce, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a second larger bowl add the plain and wholemeal flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well and then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all the ingredients have combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan and bake in the oven for 20 -25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with greek yogurt and berries.