A delicious soft oat bar recipe packed full with sweet strawberries. A tasty and healthy snack for toddlers and older kids!
My little boy has turned into an absolute food monster recently. I can’t believe that at just 2 years old he’s already eating me out of house and home… and that’s saying something considering I always have food to hand! He seems to be particularly fond of snacks so I’ve been making an effort to try out some new homemade snack recipes on him and these Strawberry Oat Bars have been a big success!
The base of these oat bars are made with my standard mixture of oats, nut butter (I used peanut butter here but almond or cashew butter works well too), coconut oil and honey. I then added some chopped fresh strawberries to give it a delicious summery flavour.
These bars are gluten, dairy and egg free and are packed full of slow releasing carbs and protein; enough to keep my little man full until dinnertime!
One thing I should point out is that these bars are very soft. They are not crunchy or chewy like a normal granola bar so don’t be disappointed! However, this does make them ideal for younger kids and toddlers as the softness makes then really easy to eat.
If you try this recipe please do let me know what you think. And tag me in a picture on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #myfussyeater. I really love seeing all your pictures of my recipes and your little ones enjoying them!
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp nut buter
- 3 tbsp honey / date syrup / maple syrup
- 125g / 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 100g / 0.75 cups chopped strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f. Grease and line an 8x8inch dish with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan melt the coconut oil. Add the nut butter and honey and stir until all the ingredients have melted together.
- Pour this mixture into a large bowl. Add the oats and mix well.
- Gently fold in the strawberries and then transfer the mixture to the lined dish, pressing down the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown.
- Leave the oat mixture to cool to room temperature in the dish, before putting it in the fridge for 30 minutes. This step is very important. If you don't do this the mixture will fall apart when you try to cut it!
- Cut into 8 large or 16 small slices.
- Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.