Layered ombre strawberry frozen yogurt bites. Made with just two ingredients they are a fantastic and healthy snack for the kids to munch on this summer!
The sun is shining once again here in the UK so I have been on a mission to come up with some new healthy snacks that they whole family can enjoy this summer. Last year my Frozen Yogurt Bark was a big hit so this year I thought I would try my hand at some smaller bite-sized frozen yogurt snacks instead.
This recipe is made with two simple and super healthy ingredients; just strawberries and yogurt. You can use fresh or frozen strawberries and either plain natural or greek yogurt. I obviously used strawberries in my recipe but most types of fruit would work just as well. It would be so lovely to create a whole rainbow of colours and flavours.
Although it does take a few hours to make these snacks as each layer has to be frozen one at a time, it doesn’t actually require a lot of effort beyond blending the strawberries and adding the yogurt.
I used a silicone chocolate mold to make these but any kind of silicone ice cube mold would work just as well. You could also use a plastic ice cube tray, just be aware that it may be a little more difficult to remove the bites once they have frozen. The silicone makes it so much easier!
You can make up large batches of these bites to keep in the freezer. I made a double batch this weekend. Once frozen, I transferred them into a sealable plastic bag so I can easily grab a small handful when the kids are screaming for a snack!
- 12 strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup plain yogurt or greek yogurt
- To make the first layer, blitz the strawberries in a blender. If needed, as a splash of water to help them break down. Spoon 1 tsp of the strawberry purée into a silicone ice cube or chocolate mold, leaving about ⅓ of the purée behind for the second layer.
- Wrap the mold in aluminium foil and place it in the freezer for one hour or until the purée is firm.
- Make the second layer by adding 2 tbsp of the yogurt to the strawberry purée in the blender. Blitz for a few seconds until it has all combined. Remove the mold from the freezer and add 1 tsp of this strawberry and yogurt layer. Cover again with foil and return to the freezer for another hour.
- For the third layer simply add 1 tsp of the yogurt to the the molds, filling them to the top. Run a knife along the top of the mold to smooth it out and return to the freezer for 1-2 hours.