It’s Friday and it’s sunny, hooray! What better way to celebrate than with some kid-friendly retro desserts. A few weeks ago I picked up a packet of Angel Delight in the supermarket. I’m not sure why as I haven’t eaten the stuff in about 15 years but perhaps nostalgia got the better of me in that moment. Growing up in Ireland in the 80’s Angel Delight was a massive treat for us. Although my mum did bake lovely homemade cakes and buns there was something about the creamy dessert that was just irresistible.
So back to my moment of nostalgia and I was now left with a packet of Angel Delight sitting in my cupboard. Rather than just eat it on its own (and probably straight from the mixing bowl!) I decided to create a kind of cheesecake with it. Although it obviously doesn’t contain cheese, so it’s more of a mousse cake!
If you are looking for a healthier version of normal cheesecake then this dessert is perfect as the Angel Delight can be made with semi-skimmed milk and therefore contains a fraction of the calories and fat than you would find in a normal cheesecake. It also contains strawberries, so that’s healthy, right?!
This Angel Delight Cheesecake was a big hit with my fussy family. They all gobbled it down and asked for more. I really enjoyed it myself too. I’m a big cheesecake fan but sometimes it can be a bit too rich and filling, especially on a hot day like today. This mousse version is perfect as it’s light and you don’t get that stuffed turkey feeling afterwards!Print
An easy no bake strawberry cheesecake made with that old favourite Angel Delight!
- 7 digestive biscuits
- 20g butter
- 1 packet (47g) Strawberry Angel Delight mix
- 300ml milk
- 125g strawberries, plus extra to garnish on top
- 2 tbsp water
- Crush the digestive biscuits. Because it’s only a small amount of biscuits you can do this easily in a bowl with your hands. Melt the butter either on the hob or in the microwave and mix into the biscuit crumbs. Spoon the mixture into 4 small glass jars or glasses and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the Angel Delight by mixing the powder in the packet with 300ml of milk. Whisk until smooth and all the lumps have disappeared. Allow the Angel Delight to thicken by itself in the bowl but do not allow it to set completely. Remove the jars from the fridge and pour the Angel Delight on top of the biscuit mixture. Return to the fridge for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime chop the strawberries and put them in a pan with the water. Bring to the boil and mash the strawberries with a potato masher. Simmer for 5 minutes. At this stage you can strain the strawberries to get a very smooth sauce but I like to keep the bits of strawberries in.
- Allow the sauce to cool slightly before spooning it onto the Angel Delight. Top each jar with the remaining strawberries.
- These cheesecakes will keep well in the fridge but it’s best to eat them within 12 hours of making.
This post is part of Super Golden Bakes’ #Cook Blog Share link up for the week of 14th – 20th July.