With two young children most of my cooking is done with them in mind; what they like and don’t like; what vegetables I am trying to trick them into trying! But from time to time I like to cook something that’s just for me with no fussy eaters to try to please. This Sticky Chicken & Vegetable Bowl with Avocado Mayonnaise is a classic example of one of my “for me only” dishes. I make the chicken extra spicy and the avocado mayo extra tangy, knowing I don’t have to worry about tiny taste buds!
I love this dish even more for the fact that it is so versatile. The vegetables are entirely interchangeable depending on what you have in your fridge on any given day. You can even make it into a salad bowl and just include raw veg, making it even easier to whip up when you have a few kid-free minutes free. If you want to bulk it out a bit, add rice for a carb boost or quinoa for some extra protein.
This Avocado Mayo is my new favourite dip. It’s so easy to whip up. It literally takes a couple of minutes and it will keep in the fridge for several days. Just make sure it is in an air tight container or jar and add an extra squeeze of lime juice to it every day to stop it from going brown.Print
An impressive yet easy mid week meal of sticky sweet and chilli chicken, vegetables and avocado mayonnaise
- Sticky Chicken & Veg:
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (or more depending on taste)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow pepper
- 6 mushrooms
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 handful of lettuce
- 1 avocado, chopped
- cashew nuts and chilli flakes to decorate
- Avocado Mayo:
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Firstly make the Avocado Mayo by blending all the ingredient except the olive oil in a food processor until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil to the avocado mixture by drizzling it while the food processor is still running. Spoon it into a container or jar and put to one side.
- Mix the diced chicken, chilli powder, honey and chilli sauce together in a bowl. Transfer the chicken pieces to a frying pan and cook on a medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Without cleaning the pan, add the tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms. Stir the vegetables around in any remaining sauce in the pan and fry gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Divide the spinach between two bowls before adding the lettuce and cooked tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms. Add the chopped avocado and sticky chicken. Finally, top with a spoonful of avocado mayo and decorate with cashew nuts and chilli flakes.