A delicious and nutritious baby food puree recipe made with spinach, avocado and cous cous.
My baby weaning days are long behind me now but I still get a lot of requests for more weaning ideas and so today I’m sharing my recipe for this really easy but super nutritious puree, perfect for babies from 7 months old.
Spinach and avocado are two ingredients that I’m pretty much obsessed with. I’m forever sneaking them into recipes to get my two kids to eat them! Spinach is an amazing food for babies. It’s packed full of antioxidents and too many vitamins and minerals to even list out! It’s also a brilliant source of fibre. No wonder it was Popeye’s vegetable of choice!
Similarly, avocado is a great first food for your little ones. It too is very nutrient dense, but it is also an excellent source of unsaturated fats, essential for brain and vision development. Put these two ingredients together with wholemeal cous cous and you have a delicious and nutritious meal that’s very filling meal for your baby!
This recipe makes about 8-10 serving of the puree. It will keep covered in the fridge for up to two days and you can freeze the remainder in individual pots or ice cube trays.
If you try this recipe with your little one please do let me know what you think. And tag me in a picture on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #myfussyeater. I really love seeing all your pictures of my recipes and your little ones enjoying them!
- 45g / ¼ cup cooked wholemeal cous cous
- ½ avocado
- 30g / ¾ cup fresh spinach
- 120ml / ½ cup baby's usual milk
- Cook the cous cous by placing it in a bowl with boiling water. Cover it with a plate and leave for approx 5 minutes until fluffy. Measure out ¼ cup of it.
- Add the cous cous to a blender with the avocado and spinach. Add a little of the milk and then blend until smooth. Add a little more milk to get it to the right consistency.
- Serve straight away or freeze in individual containers or an ice cube tray.
- Suitable from 7 months.