A delicious, warm and comforting Italian Meatball & Gnocchi Soup recipe. A super easy family meal made in the slow cooker. Minimum effort, maximum taste!
Autumn has most definitely kicked in here in the UK and although I am a little sad to see the back of warm sunny days, I have to admit I’m quite excited about getting back into the swing of making warm comforting family meals!
Today’s recipe certainly ticks the warm and comforting box. A delicious combination of meatballs and gnocchi in the classic flavours of an Italian soup all cooked together in the slow cooker. For busy families this recipe is ideal. Simply throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker (no frying needed), leave to cook for several hours and then add the gnocchi towards the end. It couldn’t be any easier!
My family all loved this recipe and I can see it being a permanent fixture on our meal planning this winter! If you try this recipe please do let me know what you think. Or tag me in a picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I’d love to see your pictures!
- 12 uncooked beef meatballs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 600ml / 2.5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs or oregano
- 500g / 1 lb gnocchi
- To garnish: grated parmesan and fresh basil
- Place all the ingredients except the gnocchi, parmesan and basil in a slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add the gnocchi and cook on low for another 1 hour or on high for 30 minutes. If the soup appears too thick then add a little extra stock or water.
- Serve immediately garnished with grated parmesan and fresh basil leaves.