A super simple and delicious Beef and Broccoli recipe. This is so easy to make, simply chuck all the ingredients into the slow cooker or crockpot and leave it to cook all day.
Winter may be cold and a bit miserable but when you have a warm and comforting slow-cooked meal to come home to in the evening, it almost makes it all worthwhile! I’ve been a massive fan of slow cookers since my now husband first introduced me to his when we moved in together. I’m not sure he actually ever used it but I was hooked pretty much straight away!
You can use a slow cooker for so many different types of foods but delicious warming casseroles has to be my absolute favourite and this Beef & Broccoli is one of my current favourites to cook in it.
This dish is perfect for busy weekdays as you can chuck all the ingredients in to cook before you leave the house in the morning. I’ve timed myself and I can get everything weighed, measured, chopped and in the slow cooker in just 3 minutes. When you get in from a busy day at work or out-and-about all you need to do is add the cornflour (cornstarch) to thicken the sauce and steam the broccoli.
I prefer to cook the broccoli separately and then add it to the beef and the sauce at the end as this helps keep its lovely bright vibrant green colour. If you like, you can add the broccoli to the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker but it will lose its colour and go a little mushy!
Are you a fan of slow cookers? If you have any tried and tested favourite slow cookers recipes link them in the comments below as I’m always on the look out for new meals to try!
For the full recipe check out the video or written instructions below (and don’t forget to subscribe to my You Tube Channel to stay up to date on all my videos!). And if you try this recipe please do let me know what you think. Or tag me in a picture on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #myfussyeater. I love seeing all your pictures!
- 500g / 1 lb casserole beef steak or flank steak
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400ml / 1.5 cups beef stock
- 60ml / 0.25 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cornflour or cornstarch
- 250g chopped broccoli
- To serve: boiled rice, chopped spring onions and sesame seeds
- Add the beef, onion, garlic, beef stock, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar and honey to the slow cooker and mix. Pop on the lid and cook on low for 4 - 5 hours (or on high for 3 hours).
- Use a ladle to remove about 2 large spoons of the liquid from the slow cooker into a small bowl. Add the cornflour to the bowl and whisk with a fork until there are no lumps. Pour this mixture back into the slow cooker, mix well and continue to cook for another 30 - 40 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Steam the broccoli (use a steamer or cook in the microwave) and then add it to the slow cooker and mix.
- Serve immediately with boiled rice and garnish with chopped spring onions and sesame seeds.