This Secret Veggie Green Rice contains THREE portions of vegetables! And it’s so good the kids will never know!
When it comes to getting your children to eat a nutritious and varied diet there are a lot of different schools of thought out there as to the best way to encourage them to eat more fruit and veg. I know some people don’t agree with “hiding” vegetables in other food as it doesn’t actually help to develop their taste buds and change their eating habits if they don’t even know they are eating their greens. But quite frankly, some days I just don’t have the energy for another dinner table argument so I will go to great lengths to disguise those evil veg from my fussy eater!
On days like this I usually whip up a batch of this green rice. It looks innocent enough (apart from the fact that it’s green!) but it secretly hiding THREE portions of vegetables in there. Shhhh!
Along with the fact that this rice is super nutritious, it’s also really simple to make. The recipe calls for cooked rice. So this can be freshly cooked rice, rice that’s already been cooked and cooled or else one of those handy microwavable rice pouches (that’s what I used here).
Two cups may not seem like a lot of cooked rice for 4 people but trust me the cauliflower really bulks it out. I blitz the cauliflower in the food processor along with the spinach and microwave them for a few minutes just to take away that raw crunch. If you prefer the cauliflower to be super soft then you can microwave it for even longer, or even stir fry it on the hob.
Considering that cauliflower, spinach and avocado are three foods that I really struggle to get my fussy eater to try, I can’t quite believe that she will eat this rice so easily. I hope it works for you too!
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 avocado
- juice of ½ lime
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and blitz in a food processor until it reaches a fine, rice-like consistency. Add the spinach and blitz again until it has all combined.
- Place the cauliflower and spinach mixture into a microwave proof bowl and cover with cling film. Pierce the cling film several times with a sharp knife and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and mix in the cooked rice.
- Next, mash the avocado and mix it with the lime juice and garlic powder. Add this to the rice and stir well until everything has combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.