A protein packed smoothie made with quinoa, greek yogurt and berries. A delicious and healthy snack the whole family will love!
When you think of a protein shake do you think of those artificial tasting powders that you have to mix for 10 minutes just to get the nasty lumps to dissolve? Yeah me too…but not anymore! I sometimes worry that my fussy eater doesn’t get enough protein in her diet. She is good at eating dairy but sometimes we struggle with meat (unless of course it’s chicken in the nugget variety!)
She will however drink smoothies and shakes and including half a cup of cooked quinoa to her drink can add up to 8 grams of protein to her diet. Quinoa is a “complete” protein source, meaning that it provides the majority of the essential amino acids our bodies need. It is also an excellent source of fibre and iron and is gluten free.
So enough of the science-y bit, how does it actually taste? Pretty much like a normal smoothie! You will need to blitz the ingredients in the blender for a little longer than usual to break it all down and make the smoothie, well….smooth!
I used frozen strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and banana in my quinoa smoothie but you can of course experiment with the flavours and add a whole host of different fruits. Also the fruit doesn’t need to be frozen. I hate wasting fresh produce so I put any fruit that’s on the turn into a sandwich bag and freeze it, ready to be used for smoothies, shakes and even ice cream!
I used this Froothie Optimum 9400 (affiliate link) to make my smoothie and it really breaks down all the quinoa and leaves a lovely smooth consistency but any high powered blender will work too!
Have you tried quinoa in a smoothie yet?
- 200ml / 1 cup milk (dairy or non dairy)
- 100g / 0.5 cup plain yogurt (dairy or non dairy)
- 1 banana (fresh or frozen)
- 250g / 8oz mixed frozen berries
- 100g / 0.5 cup cooked quinoa
- 0.5 tsp honey
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth. You can add more or less honey depending on how sweet you like your smoothie to be
* The smoothie is a darker colour in the video as I used a different mix of frozen berries that contained more blackberries!