At the end of a tiring day, not wanting another argument over food with the Fussy Eater, I find myself all too often opening the freezer and reaching for a bag of chicken nuggets. In an effort to cook fresh where possible I experimented with coatings and found that Rice Krispies made the crunchiest nuggets, even when baked in the oven rather than fried.
This healthy Popcorn Chicken went down a storm with the Fussy Eater and I must say I quite enjoyed it myself as a little snack!Print
A healthy baked alternative to this fast food favourite. Perfect served on its own as a snack or with homemade chips and salad as a main meal
- 4 chicken breasts
- 100g rice krispies
- 40g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil (and extra to grease the baking sheet)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- Chop the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces
- Blitz the rice krispies, parmesan, oregano and garlic powder in a food processor. Once well mixed, add the olive oil and blitz again. Spread the krispie mixture onto a plate.
- Beat the eggs and milk in a bowl
- Dip the chicken pieces into the egg and then transfer to the plate and coat with the krispie mixture. You can do approximately 6-8 pieces at a time
- Place onto the greased baking sheet and bake at 200c for 12 – 15 minutes, turning once.