A healthy take on the classic McDonald’s Shamrock Shake, made with spinach, avocado and mint!
Next week is of course St Patrick’s Day and I would be a very bad Irish food blogger if I didn’t mark the occasion with a suitably green recipe for you! By now you probably know that I love nothing better than putting a healthy spin on classic sugar-laden recipes. And on my hit list today is the Shamrock Shake!
I know that my Irish and American readers will know all about the Shamrock Shake. It’s a limited addition mint milkshake sold by McDonalds every March to celebrate St Patrick’s Day. Fortunately the UK seems to have been spared from this fluorescent green drink and believe me, you’re not missing anything! The McDonalds recipe has an astonishing 33 ingredients, most of which are unpronounceable additives, food dyes and preservatives. A large shake also contains over four times the current RDA of sugar for an adult. Crazy!
But not wanting to be a party pooper I set about making my own healthier version. The distinctive green colour is easily replicated with nutrient dense spinach and avocado and you can use either fresh mint or mint extract for a minty kick to the shake. I also added a banana which helps to sweeten the shake but you can also add some honey or maple syrup if you prefer it a little sweeter.
For the toppings I used whipped coconut cream, homemade chocolate sauce and a few cocoa nibs but you can experiment and try a few toppings of your own.
- Shamrock Shake:
- 2½ cups milk (dairy or non dairy)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 banana
- ½ avocado
- 8 mint leaves / a drop of mint extract
- optional: honey or maple syrup
- whipped cream or whipped coconut cream
- 25g dark chocolate and 1tsp coconut oil
- cacao nibs
- mint leaves
- Place the milk, spinach, banana, avocado and mint leaves / mint extract in a blender and blitz until smooth. Taste your shake and add honey or maple syrup if you prefer it to be sweeter.
- Add any topping you like. You can make a chocolate sauce by melting the coconut oil and dark chocolate together in a saucepan / microwave.