Packed with nutritious ingredients including prunes, dates, nuts and flaxseed, these delicious Raw Chocolate Brownie Bites make a great snack for kids and adults too!
Who doesn’t love a delicious chocolate brownie? Rich and gooey, they are probably my number one weakness when it comes to sweet treats and my kids can’t seem to resist them either! And whilst they are brilliant for the odd treat, it’s not something I want us all to be eating daily as a snack, and so I have been trying to create my own tasty but nutritious brownie bites at home instead.
These mini brownie bites are made from a whole host of nutritious and natural ingredients such as nuts, seeds, dates, prunes and flaxseed. Yes they are technically “high in calories” but when it comes to feeding my children, I would much rather they have a calorie dense snack that is actually going to fuel their little bodies, rather than something “light” or “low cal” that has zero nutritional benefit and is going to leave them just as hungry.
Although generally high in protein and fibre, different types of nuts offer different nutritional benefits, which is why I’ve chosen to use mixed nuts in my recipe. However, if you would prefer to stick to one type such as almonds or cashews then that is fine too.
The dates and prunes add a natural sweetness to the brownies, without the need for sugar or artificial sweetener. They also provide slow releasing energy which helps to prevent spikes in blood sugar levels, keeping kids fuller for longer and preventing those dreaded sugar highs and lows!
With so much fibre in this recipe, these brownie bites are also great for children suffering from constipation.
I hope you like this recipe and as always, if you try it with your little one please do let me know what you think. And tag me in a picture on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #myfussyeater. I really love seeing all your pictures of my recipes and your little ones enjoying them!
- 125g / 1 cup pitted prunes
- 125g / 1 cup pitted dates
- 110g / 1 cup mixed nuts
- 25g / ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- Soak the prunes and dates in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes to soften them. Drain but retain the liquid.
- Add the nuts and sunflower seeds to a food processor and blitz until they have broken down to a crumb like consistency.
- Add the prunes and dates and blitz again. If you are having difficulty processing the mixture add a few spoonfuls of the retained water at a time to help get it moving.
- Once the prunes and dates have broken down, add the flaxseed, cocoa powder and vanilla extract and blitz again.
- Transfer the mixture into a lined 8in x 8in dish. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminium foil and place in the freezer for 1 hour to firm up.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top and then cut into 16 small bites.
- These brownies bites will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.