Rich, gooey and completely decadent these are quite simply the best flourless Salted Caramel Brownies out there!
I’ve been sitting on this recipe for a few weeks now as I wanted to test, re-test and tweek it to make sure it was absolutely perfect before sharing it with you. One of the worst food crimes in my opinion is a bitterly bad disappointing brownie and so I was determined to make my recipe as good as possible before shouting about it from the rooftops!
Earlier this week I posted a recipe for Salted Caramel Sauce which I use (quite abundantly!) in these brownies. The brownies by themselves are pretty darn good but the caramel sauce adds a delicious sweet and salty contrast that lifts the taste to a whole other level so I really would recommend taking the time to make the sauce aswell.
With no flour these brownies are of course gluten free. They are made instead from a mixture of ground almonds and coconut flour. They are sweetened with coconut sugar and date syrup, making them free from refined sugar and I used coconut oil instead of butter to keep them dairy free (butter works fine too though). To reap all those amazing anti-oxidant benefits make sure the chocolate is 70% cocoa or higher.
If you are searching for a clean eating dessert for Christmas then these brownies would be perfect. They freeze really well so could be made in advance of Christmas Day. Simply take them out of the freezer that morning and let them defrost at room temperature. If you prefer them warm then just whack in the microwave for a few seconds.
I really am blowing my own trumpet here but I honestly think these are the best brownies I’ve ever had. Yes I know, that’s a pretty big claim but considering they are made entirely from unprocessed and “clean” ingredients they are pretty special. Try them for yourself and let me know what you think!
- 5 tbsp Salted Caramel Sauce
- 150g dark chocolate
- 100g coconut oil (or butter)
- 100g coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp date syrup (or honey)
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g ground almonds
- 50g coconut flour
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Grease a tin or baking dish with oil or butter. I used an 8in x 8in square dish.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chocolate broken into small chunks. Stir continuously until the chocolate has melted, making sure not to burn the mixture.
- Remove from the heat, add the coconut sugar and date syrup and mix until well combined. Add the eggs and stir again.
- In a seperate bowl add the ground almonds, coconut flour and salt together. Add the chocolate mixture and mix until it has all combined. The brownie mixture will be quite thick and sticky but this is normal!
- Add half of the brownie mixture to the greased pan or dish. I found using a plastic spatula made it easier to spread the mixture out evenly. Spread 2 tablespoons of the Salted Caramel Sauce on top of the brownie mixture, then add the remaining brownie mixture on top. Finally, spread another 2 tablespoons of the Salted Caramel Sauce on top.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the sides of the brownies are just beginning to crisp. Allow to cool before topping the brownies with the final tablespoon of caramel sauce and cutting into 9 pieces.
You can store these brownies at room temperature but I prefer to store them in the fridge. They can then be reheated in the microwave for a few seconds to make them warm and gooey again!
These brownies also freeze well. I frozen them in aluminium take away cartons and allowed them to defrost at room temperature for a few hours. They still tasted just as good.