The whole family will love this child-friendly no-marinade recipe for super easy Chicken Satay Skewers!
What is it about food on a stick that seems to grab a child’s attention? When I put my fussy eater’s food on a stick I know there’s a much better chance that she will eat it. Chicken is one of those food we have a constant battle with but when I make this super easy Chicken Satay Skewers recipe she is always a lot more open to trying it.
Although I’m all for making food as tasty as possible, sometimes I just don’t have the time or forward planning to be marinating chicken for hours before I cook it. But this recipe works just as well with no marinade. The chicken gets a light coating of the satay sauce before it is cooked and the rest is warmed up and served as a dipping sauce. I also think this method is great for fussy eaters. If they are not too sure about the sauce the can start by just eating the chicken and hopefully over time you can convince them to try some of the sauce.
It is Friday after all but if you are tempted by a takeaway tonight why not try this instead? It’s so quick and easy and will be ready in the time it takes to get your food delivered. Plus it’s a lot more healthier and purse-friendly too!
- 500g mini chicken fillets or chicken pieces
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Thread the chicken onto wooden or metal skewers and transfer to a plate while you make the satay sauce.
- To make the sauce put the peanut butter, coconut milk, soy sauce, honey, curry powder, lime juice and garlic in a blender and blitz until fully combined and smooth.
- Pour half the satay sauce into a saucepan and set aside. Brush or pour the rest of the sauce onto the chicken skewers so that they are all lightly coated.
- Cook the skewers under a medium grill for 10-15 minutes, turning once until they are evenly cooked and lightly browned on each side. Whilst the chicken is cooking, gently heat the remaining satay sauce in the saucepan on a low heat until warmed through.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl and serve with the chicken skewers, rice and cucumber strips.
This recipe is designed to be super speedy but if you have time you can make the sauce several hours in advance and let the chicken marinade after Step 3.
I make the cucumber strips by running a vegetable peeler along the length of a cucumber. The kids love them this way!