Bring a bit of French flavour to your table with this Croque Monsieur Sandwich Bake. A delicious and comforting meal the whole family will love!
If you are looking for a quick and easy family lunch or midweek meal then today’s recipe is one for you. I’ve teamed up with Expedia* to take part in their World on a Plate Challenge and have been set the task to create a recipe inspired by the classic cuisine of France.
I decided to make a twist on that old French favourite the Croque Monsieur. A Croque Monsieur is essentially a ham and cheese sandwich topped with a bechamel sauce and is one of those dishes that is sold everywhere in France. To make this recipe even quicker and easier to serve up for a whole family I decided to turn it into more of a sandwich bake, but with the classic flavours of the Croque Monsieur.
I used a very thin spread of dijon mustard in my sandwiches but if you are a mustard lover then feel free to go a bit heavier with the dijon as it really does add a lovely flavour.
*Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Expedia as part of their World on a Plate Challenge. However the recipe and all opinions are my own.
- 8 slices bread
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 slices ham
- 4 large slices cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 280ml / 1.5 cups milk
- 25g / 0.5 cups grated cheese (I used a mixture of cheddar and parmesan)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180c and grease a baking dish with butter.
- Toast the bread in the oven for 2 minutes on either side. Make 4 sandwiches with a tiny layer of dijon mustard, one slice of ham and one slice of cheese. Cut the sandwiches diagonally and arrange in the greased oven dish.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on the hob. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the milk, whisking all the time. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, whisking regularly. Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese. Season to taste.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the sandwiches and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until browned.
- Serve immediately with a side salad.