A quick and easy recipe perfect for picky eaters; Creamy Avocado & Spinach Pasta with a no-cook sauce!
We all know that spinach is one of those foods that is fantastic for growing children. Rich in iron, along with Vitamins A, C and K and some B Vitamins too, there was clearly a reason it was Popeye’s favourite food! But despite it being a nutritional powerhouse, it can be near on impossible to get kids to eat it. That is, until I made this sneaky pasta recipe!
My kids absolutely love pasta and I’m always trying to come up with new and easy sauce recipes to go with it which of course sneak in the veggies! This recipe is perfect as it takes just a minute to whizz up in a food processor and require no cooking at all. This also keeps the sauce highly nutritious as none of the nutrients are lost as they might be during the normal cooking process.
The spinach is blended together with avocado (another highly nutritious food!), cream cheese, parmesan and basil to make a really delicious creamy pesto sauce. My daughter is always highly sceptical of any kind of “green” food so the first time I made this she looked at it rather suspiciously! But after trying it she declared it was delicious and I now make it once a week for a really quick and easy dinner. Success!
I’ve made a video to go along with this recipe as a collaboration with my lovely friend Rebecca aka Mrs Meldrum. She is a fantastic mummy and lifestyle vlogger, a joy to watch and listen to and one of the most down-to-earth people I watch on You Tube.
- 250g pasta
- 100g fresh spinach
- 150g cream cheese
- 1 avocado
- 5g basil
- 30g grated parmesan
- 5ml milk
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cook the pasta in boiling water on the hob according to the package instructions.
- Add the spinach to a food processor and blitz to reduce it in size.
- Add in the cream cheese, avocado, basil and parmesan and blitz again until all the ingredients have broken down and are combined.
- Add a little of the milk until the mixture reaches your preferred sauce consistency.
- Drain the pasta and mix in the spinach and avocado sauce. Finally add the cherry tomatoes.
- Serve immediately.