A quick and easy kale salad made from leftover Christmas turkey, ham and vegetables
It’s Boxing Day and if like me you are probably staring at a fridge full of leftovers. I really hate food wastage but sometimes it can be a bit dull eating the same meal for a second day in a row. So today I’ve got a couple of recipes to use up all those leftovers without feeling like its groundhog day!
Earlier I posted this Bubble & Squeak Fritters recipe, guaranteed to go down a storm with the kids. My next recipe is more for the grown ups, unless you have any kale loving children in your house!
This salad is super easy to prepare but at the same time it tastes like you have put quite a lot of effort into it (that’s my kind of recipe!). You can use pretty much any leftover meat and vegetables or throw in any salad vegetables that you like. And all that kale will make you feel very virtuous after the excesses of Christmas Day!
- 4 cups Christmas dinner leftovers - turkey, ham, vegetables, etc
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 200g kale
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp honey
- ½ tsp mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the Christmas leftovers and dried cranberries in a frying pan with a small amount of oil or butter and the honey and fry gently over a medium heat, stirring regularly until it has all warmed through.
- Place the kale in a bowl or onto a salad plate and add with the warm leftovers. Top with pomegranate seeds and chopped hazelnuts.
- Make the dressing by pouring all the ingredients into a jar with a lid. Shake vigorously until they have all combined.
- Serve immediately.