Uch, what’s happened to the weather? One minute we’re enjoying a beautiful Indian summer, the next its pouring down with rain and I’m desperately trying to remember where I packed away the raincoats. Oh well, there’s only one thing for it. Lets cheer ourselves up with this sugar-free, non dairy ice cream. That’s right…it’s 100% healthy so tuck in!
Ever since I discovered the joy of two ingredient ice cream earlier this summer I’ve been playing with different ingredients and flavours to create the creamiest vegan nana ice cream ever. And if I do say so myself, this Chocolate & Vanilla recipe is pretty darn special!
If you don’t like bananas then don’t worry. Although the vanilla version has a small banana taste, the cocoa in the chocolate ice cream seem to completely mask the banana flavour. My husband couldn’t even guess what it was made from, and he’s not the biggest fan of bananas either!
This nana ice cream will be a big hit with the kids too. They’ll think they are getting a special treat while secretly you’ll know it’s all natural and healthy ingredients with no added sugar. Everyone’s a winner!
It’s important that the bananas in this recipe are frozen. If you try use them straight from the fruit bowl your ice cream will just turn to mush! However they don’t have to be frozen solid. I find that bananas that have been in the freezer for 2-3 hours to work the best. They’re nicely frozen but not so rock solid that they’ll be too difficult to blend.
Another tip is to chop the bananas into 3 or 4 pieces before freezing, as this will making blending them down a lot easier.
- 4 frozen bananas
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup / 150ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- dark chocolate curls and desiccated coconut to decorate
- Put the bananas into a blender with the coconut milk and vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- Remove half the mixture from the blender and set aside in a bowl. This is your vanilla ice cream.
- Add the cocoa to the remaining mixture in the blender and blend until combined.
- Layer the vanilla and chocolate ice cream into layers in a jar or cup and decorate with your choice of toppings.
The ice cream will keep in a sealed jar or container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks but you will have to allow it to thaw slightly before eating.