These delicious little thumbprint cookies are made with just four ingredients and make the perfect sweet snack for toddlers or older kids who are gluten and dairy free.
Coming up with tasty snacks ideas when your child is “free from” can be a bit tricky and it can be even more daunting when it someone else’s child, who’s maybe coming round for a playdate. There are lots of great free from snacks on the market but nothing beats making your own at home for a fraction of the price.
This month I’m teaming up with a bunch of fantastic “free from” food bloggers to bring you a whole host of delicious and easy recipes that are not only gluten free but also vegan, perfect for Veganuary!
My contribution are these tasty little Chocolate Oat Thumbprint Cookies. They are made from four ingredients – three of which are super healthy and natural – oats, bananas and orange juice, with the fourth being a little treat – gluten and dairy free chocolate buttons!
The basis of these cookies are these Banana & Orange Toddler Bites which I’ve been making for my little boy for a couple of years, long before we had to cut out gluten and dairy. I made the cookies a little bigger, to satisfy his growing appetite and added a chocolate button on top for a sweet little treat!
These cookies went down a storm with my son. He really loved the chocolate element to them but it made me happy as parent that I was feeding him something that was overall quite healthy, with just a very small amount of refined sugar!
For more #GlutenFreeVeganuary check out these fab recipes already posted:
- Le Coin de Mel shows us how to make Flax and Chia Eggs and also these delicious vegan Fruit & Veg Skewers
- Cherished by Me made this delicious Roasted Tomato & Rosemary Soup
- Paleo Crust shared this incredible Kale & Carrot Slaw
And stay tuned for more recipes to come from:
- 1 medium banana
- 60ml / ¼ cup orange juice
- 100g / 1 cur rolled oats (use certified gluten free if necessary)
- 8 dairy and gluten free chocolate buttons
- Preheat the oven to 170c / 340f and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a non stick silicone sheet.
- Mash the banana in a bowl with a fork. Add the orange juice and mix well. Then add the oats and mix together until everything is well combined.
- Take a large spoonfull of the mixture and shape into a round cookie shape. Place on the baking tray. Repeat with the remainder of the mixture. I made 8 cookies from this mixture.
- Press one of the chocolate buttons into the middle of each of the cookies and press down.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
If you liked this recipe you might also enjoy: