A delicious creamy Chocolate & Coconut Porridge or Oatmeal. Perfect for breakfast for kids this winter!
With winter on it’s way it’s time for me to get back on track making warm breakfasts for the kids. I have to admit that I have a bit of a mental stumbling block when it comes to hot breakfasts. Weekday mornings can be so hectic as it is but throwing a cooked breakfast into the mix can seem like an almost impossible task!
But this is why I love my Chocolate Coconut Porridge recipe. Its super easy to make and cooks in 5 minutes on the hob while I’m making my first cup of coffee and starting to get some packed lunches together.
Nutritionally porridge makes an excellent breakfast for kids. Oats, being whole grains, are packed full of slow releasing carbs, help stabilise blood sugars and contain more dietary fibre than any other grain. You can choose any type of milk too cook the oats in; dairy or non dairy. I use a mixture of cows milk and coconut milk for lots of coconuty flavour!
- 2 cups / 125g rolled oats
- 3 cups / 750ml milk (dairy or non dairy)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp desiccated or shredded coconut
- sliced banana to top
- Place the oats, milk, cocoa and coconut in a saucepan and cook gently over a low-medium heat for approximately 5 minutes until the oats have cooked and the milk has all been absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into bowls and top with a little extra coconut and sliced banana.
My Fussy Eater is a UK kids food blog packed full of healthy eating recipes and snack ideas for picky eating families.