These Chocolate Chip Energy Bites make the perfect snack for kids, packed full of slow releasing carbs from oats and protein from peanut butter and flaxseed. And they look like healthy cake pops too!
Today is the day that my fussy eater finally started school full time. She officially started 3 weeks ago but has been doing only half days to begin with. Right now I’m at home wondering whether she has eaten any of her school dinner and or if she’ll be hungry for the rest of the afternoon.
To ease my worry I’m making up a batch of these Chocolate Chip Energy Bites to have to hand as soon as she get home. Packed full of slow releasing carbs from the oats and protein from the peanut butter and flaxseed, these little bites are a powerhouse of flavour and nutrition that will help keep little bellies from rumbling until dinnertime.
The flaxseed is optional in this recipe and will work just as well without it. However it’s a great plant-based source of Omega 3 fatty acids often lacking in children’s diets, especially if they don’t eat fish. I would recommend to buy flaxseed ready ground as its much easier to add to recipes this way and also gets absorbed better by our bodies.
A quick mention about the chocolate chips. Obviously they aren’t essential to the recipe and do contain some refined sugar but if they entice my fussy eater to eat what it otherwise a very healthy snack then I’m happy to include a small amount. If you choose to leave them out then that’s absolutely fine too!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup peanut butter (or another nut butter)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Place all the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the mixture into bite sized balls. I made 13 but it depends on what size you want your energy bites to be. Refridgerate for 1 hour to allow them to firm up, place a small straw or cake pop stick into each energy bite and serve.
- The energy bites will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
If you like this recipe you may also like these Chocolate Chia Energy Bites: