A super easy mid week meal idea that’s so warming and comforting; Cheesy Chicken & Sausage Pie with a lattice puff pastry crust.
Feeding my family during the week is all about quick, easy and comforting meals. I’ve never been one to spend hours cooking in the kitchen and with a hungry brood waiting to be fed, dinners need to be fast and they need to be tasty!
As the winter evenings are drawing in I’m starting to rustle up some of our old family favourites, including this Cheesy Chicken & Sausage Lattice Pie. It’s made with a delicious creamy and cheesy filling and topped with a crumbly puff pastry lattice crust.
I always use shop-bought pastry. If you enjoy making your own pastry then absolutely go ahead and make your own. But, if like me, pastry is not your forte then those packaged rolls of pastry are your friend!
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g diced chicken breast
- 200g diced sausages
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 eggs, beaten
- 200g puff pastry sheet
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, chicken and sausages. Fry for 5-6 minutes until the chicken is white, stirring regularly.
- Mix in the carrots and celery. Add the flour and mix well until it has coated all the meat and vegetables.
- Pour in the chicken stock and simmer the mixture for 10 - 12 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add the creme fraiche, cheese and peas and mix well.
- Transfer the filling to a pie dish. I used an 8in x 8in dish.
- Lay the puff pastry sheet flat and cut strips long enough to fit your dish. I used 11 strips about ¾ in width but you can make them as thick or thin as you want.
- Layer the pastry strips onto the pie, making a lattice pattern and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve immediately with salad or greens.