Delicious vegetarian nuggets for kids packed with super nutritious cauliflower!
Does anyone else have chicken nugget obsessed children? My kids absolutely love them and the more lower the quality of nugget the better in their eyes! We do make chicken nuggets quite a bit at home but recently I’ve started making these Cauliflower Nuggets too, in a effort to eat a little less meat and generally get the kids eating more veggies.
I have to be honest and tell you that my kids are not the biggest fans of cauliflower but they do eat cauliflower cheese so I thought I would make these nuggets super cheesy and generally a bit more kid-friendly!
They are really easy to make although you do need a food processor to mix all the ingredients together. You could try cutting the cauliflower up very finely and mixing all the other ingredients by hand, but the texture may be a little different and definitely not as smooth.
The nuggets are super soft, meaning they are perfect finger food for toddlers and babies. If you prefer them to be crispy then you could always roll them in an extra coating of breadcrumbs and fry them rather than bake them.
- 350g / 12oz cauliflower
- 50g / 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g / 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 medium egg
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp mixed dried herbs
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 390f and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone non-stock mat.
- Chop the cauliflower into small pieces and cook it by either boiling or steaming it, which ever is your preference.
- Once the cauliflower has cooked add it to a food processor and blitz until it has broken down into small pieces. Add the rest of the ingredients and blitz again just enough until they are all combined. You don't want to over-blitz the mixture!
- Place a large spoon of the mixture at a time onto the baking tray and mould into a round shape. I make about 12 nuggets from this but it will depend on what size you want them to be.
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving as this will help them to keep their shape.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
If you liked this recipe you may also enjoy: